LBS
Full Time MBA
Full Time MBA
Round 1
AppliedSep 4, 24
10 days ago
9 Sep 2024 10:09
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics 3.88/4.00 GPA

- 1.5 yrs as Macroeconomist at the Bank of Thailand (Central Bank)
- 3.5 yrs (by matriculation) as Senior Corporate Development Analyst in a Thai fintech startup; doing investment projects e.g. startup fundraising and M&A
- Looking to come back to Thailand for a VC role post-MBA, preferably one that is fintech-focused
- Age 24; will be 25 by matriculation. On the younger side, but with considerable WE due to entering undergrad 2 years early
Comments 10 comments
09 Sep 2024, 12:42
I think your age is just fine, esp if you come off more mature. The only question is really when it comes to age is recruiting.

In general, solid profile and I think you have great chances to get in.
P.S. I know you already submitted the applications but if you can emphasize (maybe in the interview) that you have a job lined afterwards back in Thailand, that will improve the chances. It is still a big bill to pay for the MBA though, esp at LBS 😣
09 Sep 2024, 19:25
Thank you for the evaluation! I did mention that the CEO (who I closely worked with) and my direct supervisor (Head of Corp Dev) are happy to welcome me back in case things changed as I go on my MBA journey. It will still align with my long-term vision. No space to mention this in Cambridge application though, so I might have to address it in the interview like you advised.
09 Sep 2024, 21:22
Great!

PS. if you have not yet networked with the students, which I assume you have but if you haven’t, make sure you do and I’ll save if there are any events between now and the interviews, I would attend all of them. There may be something useful here but it’s also something you can just refer to to show you fond of the school. You have to pay this strange homage of loyalty 😂
09 Sep 2024, 21:25
S̄wạs̄dī, GreenT. As a Brit who studied for his MBA there many moons ago, I have seen the country closely. In the words of the present Labor government, "the country is broke and broken." Half of the UK is wanting to leave. I hope you have done your due diligence on employment prospects post-MBA. It's a good thing that you have a Plan B of returning home. Unless you mess up your application narratives, you are very well placed for a seat in the schools you have selected.
09 Sep 2024, 21:48
To bb, yea definitely! I have been networking with several alumni from each school to assess my fit. The next virtual events from these programmes are in the mid-late Sep which I'd likely attend. For some reason, it seems like they're hosting virtual events less frequently than when the application cycle had yet to start XD.

Hi dee1pug1, thank you for the heads up. Yea, I do not expect much at all from the UK market, especially for MBA, in these past few years and going into my MBA year as well. I'm mainly looking to go back to my home country post-MBA and the UK MBA I applied are highly regarded here (maybe not as much as MBA in the U.S.), so I'm expecting a satisfactory job prospect, at least in the mid-long term. I'm not looking to drastically change career path so I think a relevant business degree in general would help propel me forward.

Hopefully there'll be some good news on interview decisions in the coming weeks!
09 Sep 2024, 21:50
Do find out what happens to international MBAs in the UK after the two-year work visa. You may be in for a surprise. Again, I am only stressing on the need for your due diligence.
09 Sep 2024, 21:53
Yup, will definitely do further due diligence on this. Never hurt to explore more options.
09 Sep 2024, 21:54
What happens to them after two years? They turn into pumpkins? 🎃 or they choose to stay? 👀
09 Sep 2024, 22:00
Join GreenT in the discovery, bb :D. On a serious note, companies aren't sponsoring work visas, and talent is returning to their home countries.
09 Sep 2024, 22:22
Got ya. OP did not intend to stay on a visa anyway so I don’t think that’s their major concern but it is a concern nevertheless.... Fingers crossed that the economy for MBA’s turns around. It is strengthening here after a soft summer.